Saturday, June 4, 2011

No Reservations

Consensus exceptionis: I call that a consent of exception wherein a person yields to another, yet with a reservation, and with a provision upon such and such conditions, and not otherwise; as thus, I am content and do yield to take Christ to be mine, and my self to be his, even in respect of his Person, but yet so, that with him I may enjoy my sins, or so, that I may not hazard my estate by the match and so, that I may not suffer with him. O no! Christ will never be yours, and you can never be his with those reserves and provisions: If any man will be my Disciple, let him deny himself, and take up his Cross and follow me: As if a woman should think any man would marry her upon this condition, As long as you are rich, and at liberty, and in health you shall be my husband, and so that I may be an adultress: The consent which indeed ariseth from faith (which makes union 'twixt us and Christ) is a consent freely taking Christ, and fully taking Christ, and immediately taking Christ, and sincerely taking Christ; Christ and none but Christ, Christ and all Christ, Christ and all that may befall us with Christ; Christ at his best, and Christ at his worst, Christ in Heaven as triumphing, and Christ on earth as suffering: A consent to live with Christ and to die for Christ, a Christ upon any condition that Christ will make: And a Christ upon no condition that my vain heart would make.
—Obadiah Sedgwick